Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Refinishing Projects



One of my projects over the summer was refinishing some candlestick holders and a shelf that I scored at my in law's garage sale! And they just love me so much they give them to me for free:-) Thanks Harold & Denise!!! I so badly wish I had a before picture for you:-( It was a big transition! Basically they were both dark wood before. The candlestick holders had a slick coating so I sanded them down so the paint would adhere better. The shelf was pretty dull and large so I didn't bother sanding it. My in laws also gave me some left over paint they had from trying different paint colors on their walls. So thanks to them this project was free!! My plan was to paint and then sand down in some spots to give them a "distressed" look. I consulted a few people about the type of paint I was using for this project. Here's what I found out for your knowledge and mine in the future:



  • The paint used on most interior walls is flat. So if you want to have a finish that is more durable it's best to use satin.


  • There is paint specifically for furniture, but my project was small so what I had was fine.


  • When painting something that is oak (has the circles) you may want to use a primer as it will ultimately bleed through the paint giving it a yellow tint. I would think this would be more important if you're doing a bigger, more expensive piece of furniture.

I am really happy with how they both turned out. The paint on the shelf didn't stick as well as the paint on the candlestick holders. I think it's because I didn't sand it and the type of paint I used. But because I wanted a "distressed" look it will do just fine. If something nicks it and chips some paint owell it will just add to the look! Plus I'm putting it my guest room, which will get less wear and tear. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but wanted to pass my knowledge along! Tell me what you think!! I have not decided exactly where to hang the shelf yet, but my candlestick holders look fancy smancy in their new home. Stayed tuned for my next post to see them!!! I know the suspense is killing you;-) Here's a sneak peek...

No comments:

Post a Comment