Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Gold is Old

I want to share my latest spray painting before & after with you! It just so happened the last few items I collected to spray paint were gold! And no offense gold, but you are kind of out:-/ I'm talking the bright, shiny gold. Anyways, I loved these finds, but they needed a makeover!



From left to right; I found the candle holder at Goodwill for $2.52. I envisioned painting it red or silver for my Christmas mantel! I found this Fleur-de-lis bookend at a garage sale for $3. It still has the tag on it and it was originally from Outrageous Bargains (now called Outrageous Interiors) for $12.99. That is one of my favorite stores so I was thrilled! And the last item on the right is another Goodwill find I scored for $3.93! And it still has the tag as well. It was originally from Wal-mart for $13.96! I was excited because I've been getting more into maps lately. My SIL (sister-in-law) has some in her house that I've always admired, so I was very excited to purchase my first framed world map!



Here's another shot of everything before the paint-a-paloosa! I wanted to show you how I did the painter's tape and used aluminum foil to cover the larger area of the glass. I got this great tip from here.



I decided to do the candle holder and bookend red. I already had the red spray paint and thought it would make them pop a bit! As for the map...the picture itself is very gold and I like it, but I wanted to tone down the gold frame a bit. My SIL suggested bronze spray paint, but I couldn't find any so I decided to try this brushed metallic caramel latte satin spray paint I found at Hobby Lobby (I think Wal-mart has it too). I liked the color, I just wasn't sure if it would go with the picture.

And now for the after shot!



I love how the red candle holder turned out! I'm probably going to use it on my Christmas mantel, but I also figured red, as opposed to silver, would be a color I could use elsewhere in the house for the rest of the year:-) The red Fleur-de-lis bookend looks good, however, it's a little bright for my taste. I told my SIL I was going to do some gold on top of the red and she said there is a crackling spray paint I should try! She thought it would help the red show through and I totally agree. I think I'm going to give it a try next spray paintin' round. If I do, I'll certainly update you! As for the map picture, I really like how it turned out! No, the golds don't match, but I think that's ok. I like how the frame is still shimmery like the picture, but not so loud. And I love the mocha tone. I'm pretty happy with it!



Here is a side-by-side comparison for you. What do you think? What colors would you have done?

2 comments:

  1. I love your map!! Lucky girl, way to have a good eye! Can't wait to see that Christmas mantle with the candle holder!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gator! I am working on my Christmas mantel as we type!;-)

    ReplyDelete