Friday, January 6, 2012

Party Hat!

A friend pinned this adorable hat on pinterest for me and I was in love! I thought it looked fairly easy to make so I gave it a try! But if you love it and don't want to make it or don't have the time, you can order one from Etsy here.



I went to my local Hobby Lobby and gathered some supplies:



Different colored felt, medium-sized pom poms, headbands, and poster board. I bought a pack of pre-cut poster board because it was simply easier to cart around since I had my daughter with me and it ended up being a good size to work with. But the normal size poster board was a little cheaper if you want to go that route. And I had to exchange one of the medium-sized bags of pom poms for a bag of small pom poms. After making the hat, I realized smaller pom poms would be a better fit for the bottom.

Here's what I did:



The first thing I did was roll my poster board up in a cone shape. If you do opt for one large poster board sheet, it would probably be easier to cut it down before this part.



Next, I flattened it out and cut straight across to make the bottom of the hat.



It was not a straight line by any means, so I unrolled it...



And trimmed it up a bit to make for a nice, smooth line.



Then I rolled it back up and secured it with a piece of tape at the top and bottom.



Next, I put it on top of the headband to see how it was working out.



It looked pretty good, so I added the fabric.



This part is very similar to how I did my Christmas trees here.



I left a little material at the top and put glue down the side.



Then rolled and glued, rolled and glued, while also tucking the top.



Then I trimmed the bottom and the side to complete the fabric portion!



Next, I made a bottom for the hat out of the same poster board. This step is necessary so the hat does not get in the way of the headband fitting correctly and so there is more area to glue the hat onto the headband.



I traced around the bottom of the hat and cut it out. I put a wad of Elmer's glue all around the edges...I wanted to make sure it would stick!



While I was letting the hat dry, I cut a bunch of circles out of my felt in different sizes. I did them freehand, but you can trace coins if you want! I laid them out on the hat how I liked them and then hot glued each one on.



Next, I did the pom poms! This part was really quick and easy...I just hot glued a medium pom pom on top and hot glued the small pom poms around the bottom in groups of three. And last, I hot glued the hat to the headband! Voila! I thought it turned out so cute:-)



And I must say it looks pretty darn cute on the birthday girl herself...

2 comments: