Friday, September 16, 2011

Quilting/Patchwork Class

I took a quilting/patchwork class this summer and thought I'd share with you! It was a great class and I would definitely recommend it! I'm not really into quilts at this point, but my sister-in-law, Robin, told me about a deal on Groupon for a quilting and patchwork class at whipstitch (a fabric and sewing shop in Atlanta). Sew....I jumped on it! At this point in my sewing journey I'm open to all avenues to broaden my skills. It was 2 hours of jam-packed quilting and patchwork fun! I was definitely lagging behind most of the other students the whole time (there were about 10 of us), but I was proud that I kept up with them! And proud that I completed a mini quilt that I brought home! I am by no means the appropriate person to try to explain how I did this to you so I'm not going to try. However, I do have some ideas where I can incorporate my news skills; perhaps a quilted top ottoman cover or a pillow with some patchwork? I don't know - we'll see! And if/when I do these projects I'll give a tutorial so you can see how I did it.



Deborah Moebes instructed the class. She was an excellent teacher. She explained things in an easy-to-understand-way, but also kept the class moving right along schedule. During the class she mentioned her book. And I was starting to wonder who she was. I thought she just worked there part-time teaching sewing classes or something. So I asked her what her book was called and she said "Stitch By Stitch". Other people in the class were talking to her about her book and how they bought it. I also heard her mention how people often stop by the store looking for her. This really intrigued me and I wanted to know more. Students even brought their book for her to sign. After the class I saw her book for sale on the checkout counter. I flipped through the book and it looked pretty good; I really liked all the pictures that would be especially helpful to a beginner like me. I decided to buy it! I heard others in the class mention they had gotten it from amazon so I know I could have gotten it for less, but it was convenient and I wanted to take advantage of getting the author's signature!!! Here's a pic and I love what she wrote:-) For those of you squinting (probably everyone) she wrote "Best wishes for lots and lots of happy sewing memories!" Deborah.



I thought she might be the owner, but wasn't sure so I googled it just now and she is, indeed, the owner. In fact, I was reading the site here and it really hit a soft spot with me because I can totally relate. She is a woman after my own heart with her passion and entrepreneur spirit. I also thought it was really neat to read her first blog post here. This really hits home with me when she says "I can very clearly remember writing that first post, feeling like I was either starting something I’d never finish or setting my foot on a path that would whisk me away places I’d never imagined". I was (and still am) nervous about this blog. Mainly because I hate to be a quitter. I have high hopes that won't be the case and that it will help guide me in finding my dream. Oh and how awesome is it that the owner of the store teaches classes!?!! Very awesome and humble, indeed. I just love that - thanks for inspiring us Deborah!!! I will be back for more classes:-)

P.S. What do you think of my little quilt?? I didn't get to finish the sides -- that's on my "to-do" list;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment